"Let your mind start a journey through a strange new world. Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before. Let your soul take you where you long to be. Close your eyes, let your spirit start to soar, and you'll live as you've never lived before."
-Erich Fromm-

28 July, 2010

Fear or No fear?!

I couldn't wait to get to my PC to share this with you all... 

The BFF has to perform Community Service for her Social Working class. And last evening, we decided to go to our 1st ever AA meeting to get a feel of what she will be dealing with in her future career, WE had the dickens of a time finding the center and finally found our way to the hall where the meeting was about to take place. 


Walking in to an unfamiliar setting is NEVER comforting, but it's something we HAD to do and I've learned sometimes we need to be taken from our comfort zone to offer our assistance to someone less fortunate than we. 


We walked in thinking it would be a small crowd and to our surprise, the room was packed (30+ heads). So many faces in the crowd, many you would never imagine were taking part in this rehabilitation: young and old, business women and men, and many others. You can tell from their faces how "lost" and confused these people are. It's a sad place to be. Always uncertain of what the day will bring, because you just can't seem to put the bottle down, you cant seem to turn away that last drink. And in between all that...you end up losing who you really are as a person. 


The Serenity Prayer started us off and thus began the AA Meeting. The Chairwoman of the club began by introducing herself, a former alcoholic, now sober for 5+ years. She then passed "the baton" so to speak, over to any person who felt a "burning desire" as they call it, to share their sober stints with the crowd. One man in particular touched my heart. His name was "Big Dave"; he stood about 6'5" with sandy blonde-ish white hair. August 31st will be 19 years that he has been sober. 


Big Dave exclaimed that he was a fearless individual while drinking, Fearless of dying, fearless of living, fearless of pretty much anything, stating, "I would fight you even if you had 15 guys standing behind you. And if i got beat down, I would still feel proud that I at least got some good hits in." But in all reality, it got Big Dave no where different than from where he started. He made some statements that hit really close to home. Although I am not an alcoholic, there is a lot you can learn from a person who has gone through hell and back. Big Dave says he gave "it" up to God, his creator; because there wouldn't be a day that he could stay sober if it wasn't for God. He says he woke up every morning knowing God has handled everything for him and knowing he will NOT be tempted to relapse into a drinking state of mind. 


One of the main things Big Dave stated was, "God is always on time. It's up to us to be receiving of him (and his help)." He stated that it wasn't until he made the decision to be sober that he was fearful. Fearful of people actually seeing him for whom he truly was as a person. And this had me thinking about my own life...past mistakes that I thought would get the best of me, etc. But, God always came through for me. Even when i felt alone and at a cross road, all I needed was to open my heart and accept his help.


I may have never had this opportunity to hear this man's story. I learned many things from this experience. I've learned, there are times to forget and things to forget. But, if we would remember all the miracles God has done in our past, we would not so easily fall into worry and fear when we have new challenges to face. 


"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
-2 Timothy 1:7-

I would be so bold to ask: Are you facing something right now that looms before you like a giant in your life?? Take time to evaluate your situation...but, remember where God has brought you from and where in turn he is taking you. Our life is precious because we can overcome our fears in life. The future is ours to take... why not take it with a sober state of mind...

Boldly state: "The LORD is my helper; I will not fear."

Stay strong, with undaunted courage.

Thank you Big Dave for allowing me to experience your life in a matter of 30mins. You are truly an inspiration to those of us who claim to be fearless.  

3 comments:

  1. How awesome that you went to an AA meeting! I will be 1 year sober on August 2nd. I didn't know what to expect when I started going to AA. I had a hard time admitting to myself that women can be alcoholics, but we can! The people in the program are the most loving and accepting people I have ever met. AA has got me in touch with my spiritual side and reminded me that God never gives you more than you can handle.

    Thank you for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went for the experience...I'm not a drinker...it gets boring and the taste is disgusting, but we had to get school credit and she didn't want to go alone. But the experience of it all was very touching. Its sad to know that this can become addictive...my father was an alcoholic in his younger years and I don't drink our of respect for him. Congrats on your sober year...keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great and sobering (pardon the pun) experience! There is a lot to be learned from people who have "been to hell and back". I had a friend who went to NA (narcotics) meetings - I always wanted to go, to get a better idea of what he was going through, but he never wanted me to go. Thanks for sharing this with us, B!

    ReplyDelete

"...Fear not, for I have redeemed you; have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God..." ▪Isaiah 43:1-3▪